Sunday, April 29, 2012

Koper, Slovenia










It’s not like Slovenia hasn’t been around a while, I just didn’t recognize it by its “new/old” name. This is another of the countries that used to be a part of Yugoslavia. This place dates back to 2000 B.C. when the in habitants were known to have built their homes on stilts. Supposedly the fertile ground and mild climate has made it popular ever since. The coastal towns look similar to Croatia, but not quite as nice. Not knowing what there was to do in Koper, we went to the ”legendary” Lipca Stud Farm and horse show. They have been breeding Lipizzaner horses for over four centuries, so I think they have it down. Interestingly enough, these horses are born black and turn white as they mature. They had a great show where the stallions performed haute ecole classical dressage. I couldn’t help thinking how much Courtney would have enjoyed the show as she did dressage for a few years. I have to say the horse show in Cut and Shoot, Texas didn’t do half bad but this was something else. Their most amazing “trick” was the “Airs Above the Ground”. I “sort of” caught a picture of it, but it’s not very crisp. It is amazing to watch how they can get those huge horses to do “ballet”. I was expecting more aerobatics but it was more like synchronized dancing. It was also fun to tour the stables and the farm. They are justifiably proud of their riding academy. It was fun visit. We went to a 15th Century Church, in Hirastolvje, known for its frescoes depicting the “Danse Macabre”. The church is pictured above but it looks more like a fort. The inside was fascinating – walls and ceilings are all covered with frescos. “The Dance of Death” was covered with plaster until 1949 when they uncovered this rather creepy work of art. Then it was back to the ship for the final “sail away”. It is difficult to believe that we have been on this ship since January and the next stop is the last stop. I will have no way to send anything from Venice, but everyone knows Venice -gondolas, San Marcos Square, the Doge’s Palace and the Bridge of Sighs. At least we are ending on a high note – Venice. I loved this city when we lived in Italy. Now they say San Marcos Square floods at high tide and the days of good, cheap wine and food are gone but I am hoping it still holds a certain romance. After a couple days in Venice, we wing our way home. At least we are Business/First class for that awful flight, thank god for frequent flyer miles! We brought some cash with us and I believe we are going to end up with just about enough left for cab fare home! Actually, we may need to make a stop for Mexican food on the way home – I have gone way too long without a Mexican combo plate. Then it is time to file taxes, fix the air conditioner, and jury duty. You know – back to real life. I can feel myself moving out of that wonderful vacation mode that became a way of life for a few months. For those who hung in until the bitter end, I will do a final wrap up when I get to Houston – but it probably won’t be for a week or so by the time we “do” Venice, fly home and I recover enough to type a coherent sentence on the page. So …Italy here we come – Ciao y’all.

1 comment:

  1. Oh how I remember Lloyd eating all those yucky FISH in Venice, then getting sick ... but he wanted to try all the local stuff and he did.

    If you need an airport pick up... I am available if you want. That Lincoln has a BIG trunk.

    I have so enjoyed the narative of your trip. I only want to go to SOME of the places. Some were just too dreary... and sad for the people who live there.

    See you in May. Enjoy Venice.

    ReplyDelete